Among other firsts introduced at IBEX 2011 was Professional BoatBuilder magazine’s Design X PechaKucha for boat designers. What’s that? you ask. PechaKucha is a rigid, allegedly Japanese presentation format that limits each live speaker to 20 slides or images with 20 seconds to speak about each one. This year’s invitation-only evening at the Louisville Science Center proved that it’s a great format for exposure to new boat designs and designers.
For this inaugural event PBB publisher Carl Cramer selected 11 presenters from as far away as Thailand, Norway, The Netherlands, Italy, and as unlikely a state as Nebraska. They spoke about a diversity of design and boatbuilding ideas ranging from a handicapped-accessible houseboat and a catamaran motorsailer for the South Pacific, to the history of early composite boatbuilding and a call for alternatives to one-design regattas to attract new sailors to the sport.
The evening started with the audience of about 60 industry friends and colleagues—who had already put in a full day on the show floor and in seminars—chatting over drinks in the Science Center’s Riverview Room. At 7 p.m. they adjourned to the IMAX theatre, where presentations got under way. The full session (minus the intermission back at the bar) was captured on video and is now available for anyone to view (see below). But beware, this video contains ideas and designs that are decidedly outside the box.
On the strength of this first successful session, PBB will produce a second Design X PechaKucha next Oct. 3 during IBEX 2012 in Louisville and a third on Nov. 12 during METS 2012 in Amsterdam.
For more information about the event, contact Carl Cramer at Professional BoatBuilder magazine, tel. 207–359–4651.
Outside the Box:
Professional BoatBuilder’s Design X PechaKucha at IBEX 2011
- Eric Sponberg — Modular Catamaran Houseboat
- Albert Nazarov — Re-thinking a Cruising Catamaran
- Duane Branch — Corellian 40′ Catamaran Design
- Jay Paris — Modern Daysailer
- Marnix Hoekstra — The Boat Of The Future – What Does It Look Like?
- Dan Spurr — Wood to Glass
- Steve Clark — Class Sailboats
- Thomas Anmarkrud — Sandvik 44 Innovation
- Walt Vosicka — Handicapped Accessible Houseboat
- Zachary Brekenfeld — Purposeful Designs Understated Elegance
- Mauro Rosatelli — Endeavour 43′ One Design
Professional BoatBuilder magazine’s Design X PechaKucha presenter email addresses: