Website Buffalo Maritime Center
Buffalo Maritime Center is seeking a full-time assistant boatbuilder with demonstrable wooden and contemporary boatbuilding skills.
The position requires dedication to BMC’s educational objectives and the maturity to lead volunteers of all skill levels in every aspect of building a quality 73’ replica of the historic 1825 Erie Canal Packet Boat, “Seneca Chief.” Using traditional wooden boatbuilding methods, including double-sawn locust frames with 2” larch planks, the three year process of building this boat will take place in the public eye with a volunteer crew who will be hands on participants during construction.
- Lofting, boat building methods and techniques, finishing
- Demonstrable advanced carpentry skills, e.g., jig and pattern making
- Demonstrable safe machine and tool use best practices
- Strong communication skills
Requirements to apply:
- Current resume
- A written statement that explains the candidate’s work ethic.
- A portfolio of boat building and repair projects
- A willingness to be flexible with work scheduling.
- Demonstrated experience working with and leading volunteers and students of all ages and skill levels to produce a quality product.
- A commitment to work for the duration of the three year project in Buffalo.
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is grant funded and may lead to a promotion to fulltime Master Boatbuilder/Educator position after the initial grant period.
To apply, please send resume and three references to email@example.com.
For more information about the Buffalo Maritime Center, please visit www.buffalomaritimecenter.org.