Website The Landing School
The Landing School is seeking a dynamic and creative President. Located in Arundel, Maine, the School is one of the most prominent & comprehensive post-secondary institutions supplying qualified and experienced entry-level professionals to the marine industry. The President will guide the institution’s daily operations, strategic planning efforts and vision of the School’s future and its role in the marine trades industry. The successful candidate will exercise strong leadership and team building in a complex organizational setting.
The Landing School was founded in 1978 as a nonprofit post-secondary institution dedicated to providing the highest quality career-oriented education in boatbuilding. The purpose of the School has expanded to provide a gateway to the marine industry for students seeking career opportunities as designers, builders, systems technicians or repairers of both recreational and commercial watercraft, or in similar fields. Graduates are practical boat builders, designers and systems technicians who can work competently on vessels in use today and adapt to the industry’s evolving technology, while appreciating the traditions of the past.
The Mission of The Landing School is: To effectively prepare men and women for careers in the marine industry as practical designers, builders and systems technicians who work professionally on today’s vessels, adapt to the industry’s evolving technology and appreciate the traditions of the past while imagining and building the boats of the future.
The School is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) and is chartered by the State of Maine to award the Associate’s Degree in Marine Industry Technology. Students come from all over the United States as well as from Canada, South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and Africa. The School primarily attracts students seeking a marine industry career, and expects 70-80 students to be enrolled in the fall. It is successful in placing its graduates into the marine industry and related fields worldwide.
The School’s ability to preserve traditional skills while advancing the builder and designer’s art through the integration of modern techniques and contemporary materials and technologies has garnered substantial support from the industry. The School receives direction in curriculum design and program implementation from its Board of Trustees and the Program Advisory Committee, and noted industry leaders regularly lecture and evaluate student work. Blending the extremes of high-tech design and wooden boatbuilding under one roof is among the reasons the Landing School is unique. Staff and Faculty are talented and dedicated professionals in the fields of boatbuilding, design, education, engineering and administration.
In the past few years, the School has experienced growth and success, highlighted by the opening of more than 21,000 square feet of new educational and shop space, and significant strategic projects are currently underway. Reporting to the Board of Trustees, the President will guide the School’s growth with a focus on educational quality, financial stewardship, and responsiveness to the emerging trends in both education and the marine industry.
The President will:
- Oversee the effective operation of the School and the maintenance of its facilities, including full P&L and budget responsibilities, and will ensure the safety of all students and employees
- Collaborate with the Deans of Education and Administration to foster a culture of productivity, effectiveness and open communication in all areas of the organization
- Serve as a spokesperson to outside constituents including funders, financial supporters, industry contacts and alumni
- Work with the Dean of Education to inspire the School’s Program Advisory Committee and other industry supporters to maximize their participation and commitment to the School
- Develop and execute a strategic plan, in cooperation with the leadership team, to effectively provide a high quality education to all students, to position the School as a trusted source of qualified applicants to the marine industry, to achieve national recognition and awareness, and to ensure financial stability
- Develop and monitor progress towards sound objectives and long-range plans for the School, taking into account the mission, industry needs, enrollment trends, economic conditions and postsecondary education policy
- Guide the School community, including the Board of Trustees, in evolving the school and its role in the marine trades industry consistent with the Landing School mission and vision
- Work closely with the Board, keeping them fully informed and executing Board policy
- Build the resources available to the School by actively and continuously undertaking fund and alumni development
- Oversee marketing and maintain target enrollment of 80-84 students
- Oversee ongoing accreditation and regulatory compliance and ensure high standing among peer institutions and in professional fields
The successful candidate will be a creative high-energy person of integrity and dedication. S/he will be an articulate communicator and will offer many of the following:
- Vision and passion for student success and the future of the School
- An earned bachelor’s degree with a master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience in business, nonprofit organizations or educational institutions
- Interpersonal skills demonstrated by working collaboratively with people, encouraging input, developing a healthy organizational culture, leading by example and setting a clear direction
- Networking and communications skills necessary to establish and sustain the School at a nationally recognized level
- Relationships, contacts and reputation that will be respected by the marine industry
- Strong managerial and financial skills
- Fundraising and alumni development experience
- Strategic thinking with the ability to develop a vision and to knit the community together around common goals
- Experience with, and a sincere interest in, the marine industry
- Ability to live within a reasonable and practical distance from the School
- Ability to travel on behalf of the School
For more information please visit www.landingschool.org.
Nominations and applications including cover letter, resume and salary requirements may be sent to David Harris: firstname.lastname@example.org.